In December 2012, Healthier Kids Foundation launched Santa Clara County’s Baby Gateway Project (BGP). Modeled after the highly successful Baby Gateway Program in Santa Cruz County, the primary goals of our Baby Gateway Program are to:
- Increase access to health coverage and a medical home for newborns
- Decrease emergency room use for children under the age of one
- Support Medi-Cal parents in creating a safe, healthy, and loving home in which to raise their children.
In January 2013, the Baby Gateway Program was first launched at O’Connor Hospital in San Jose and Saint Louise Regional Hospital in Gilroy. In July 2014, the program was expanded to Valley Medical Center.
To date, the BGP has assisted:
- 6,200 newborns enrolled into Medi-Cal,
- 5,400 newborns select a primary care physician, and
- 5,300 newborns schedule their first doctor appointment prior to being discharged from the hospital.
For more information on the Baby Gateway Project, please contact Baby@hkidsf.org or 408.564.5114 x 208.